Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Complete Hawaii Tapes Volume 1

Released in 2004 by Sabotage Records this outstanding show Prince and the NPG performed is one of my favorites. December 16th 2003 the venue Neal S. Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. Band Lineup included Prince, John Blackwell, Rhonda Smith, Renato Neto, Rad, Chance Howard, Greg Boyer, Maceo Parker, and Candy Dulfer. By far one of the best NPG configurations yet. The music performed on this show to me seems like a Musicology Tour warm up with a high level of energy that only the man himself can give, from the Let's Go Crazy and Baby I'm A Star workout to the great Drum work by John Blackwell and the Sensual SHHH! DMSR the classic funk jam, hearing this live really gets the party started while Rhonda Smith plucking the Bass and he gets the crowd into the funk with a I like funky music chant. Controvery is great, this jam was released with the Prince in Hawaii: An Intmiate Portrait of an Artist Book. Slowing it down with 3 claasics The Beautiful Ones, Nothing Compares 2 U, and Insatiable I must say I felt like the vocals were on point. I can go on and on about this 3 CD set from Sabotage let me just say it is EXCELLENT, it also includes the aftershow which was great if you haven't heard copp it if you can you will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment