Monday, June 30, 2014

Classic MPLS: The Family Self Titled Album

1985 was a great year for music The Family's self titled LP falls into that classic realm of albums. With 7 out of 8 tracks being written by Prince this is one of the best associate artist albums and all around great albums. Released August 19th 1985 this record is a mixture of super funk and great jazz to me, this album was the first Prince-related release to feature saxophone by Eric Leeds and string orchestration by Clare Fischer which makes it awesome. This record by far is one of the reason we as fans of Prince love him so much because with this album he proved he could go so far left and make it sound great. I remember the 1st time I heard this record I was blowed away by the different arrangement of music, strings, and vocals. My favorite tracks are High Fashion, Nothing Compares 2 U, And The Screams Of Passion, I'm always in debates about what version of Nothing Compares 2 U is better, The Family's Version Prince and Rosie's Live Version, or Sinéad O'Connor's. Time after time I have to say The Family's version is my favorite. Over all this is a great edition to your collection and great music so check it out if you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment